Wednesday, October 17, 2012

 My poor, sweet Gianina Rosa has an enormous 2nd degree burn on her upper left arm.  She went to the doctor yesterday and he said it looked super.  I know he meant that it looked like it was healing "super" but that is definitely not the word to descibe how it looks.  Poor baby!  Doc said it probably won't scar permanently but it will take a year before the scar goes away.  How did this come about?  Little one was playing out on the deck while Papa was bar-b-queing chicken.  Papa came in (10 feet away) to get a plate and within seconds she was screaming.  Talk about chaos - what to do? What to do?!  My husband said not to put it under water, no ice, my mother-in-law said to slather it in mashed up beans, I could only gather enough wits about me to slather the wound in neosporin.  I still think we should have run it under cool water.  The burn is about three inches long and about one inch wide.  The skin turned black, like charred chicken skin.  Horrible.  She dealt with it REALLY well and slept soundly despite it all.  The next day the black skin peeled right off to reveal nauseatingly white skin - which I also slathered w/ neosporin (while she squirmed).  Gianina kept saying, "my owie no hurt no more".  So brave.  She needed new princess slippers and Marie (white kitten from Disney's Aristocats movie) pajamas to make her ( mostly me) feel like she'd been rewarded for being such a trooper.  The new rule at our home is that no kids are allowed on the deck while the bar-b-que is in use.  I know, this should have been a rule already but I guess I was too relaxed since none of my other three children had ever been burnt by it.  Lesson learned at the expense of my precious little girl.  Soooo sad.  No picture, I don't want to remember how it looked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment