Friday, November 9, 2012

  This morning my girls were all playing tea party.  It was going very smoothly when I overheard one say, "Now if you have to puke, you'll need more medicine."  Turns out it was make-believe-tea-party-sick-puppy game.   The things they play! 
  I was reminded of a particular squabble that I broke up years ago between my son and his friend.  The two were crying/fighting because they were cutting up each others' pretend presents under their pretend Christmas tree with their pretend chain saws.  I was very amused and had they not been so worked up I might have let them try to work it out - for pretends.  Imaginations are powerful things.
 Nostalgia struck yesterday as I was waiting for the bus with the kids.  The air was so clean and crisp and it was just barely sprinkling at that time.  We could smell woodsmoke and fresh rain scents.  Before I had to deal with so many pairs of rubber boots, rain coats, stir-crazy kids and mud, I used to love the rain and in between shower spells.  I was flooded with that happy memory of being a kid during the fall. 
  Last  night, my two oldest kiddos and I went to the theatre to see Ballet Foklorico de Mexico.  It was fabulous.  I am always looking for opportunities for my children (who are half Mexican) to be exposed to their heritage in educational and appropriate settings.  I am sorry to say that the Latino TV channels provide much less than that.  I DON'T ever want my daughters to wish to look like the women they see on Telemundo.  Why must we expose our breasts to broadcast the weather?  My 10yr old son is already much disillusioned with the behavior that he has seen first hand amongst his Latino acquaintances.  This is why I want so badly for them to see the beautiful part of their heritage.  I really wish I knew some Christian Hispanic families that are trying to instill in their children Godly virtues while modeling the Latino lifestyle.  That's all I'm asking for!
  God bless the president.  I have to admit that I may have shown too much discouragement at the outcome of the elections.  My little boy told his grandma, "He (the president) wants to kill me!"  I asked him why in the world he would say that and he replied that he'd heard his older brother say it.  Yikes.  Time to set the record straight.  Prayers are needed now and we will not be a family of president bashers!  I feel a lesson coming on for after school....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment